The standard license plate in Hawaii has a yellow background with black letters and numbers, and the state's motto 'The Aloha State' written in black. The license plate also features a graphic of a green sea turtle, which is the state's official marine animal.
In addition to the standard license plate, Hawaii also offers a variety of special interest license plates for an additional fee. These special plates include:
- Personalized license plates, also known as vanity plates, which allow the owner to choose the letter and number combination that appears on the plate
- Specialty license plates for certain types of vehicles, such as motorcycles and trailers
- Specialty license plates for organizations such as universities, colleges, and fraternal organizations
- Specialty license plates for military veterans and their families
- Specialty license plates for environmental causes and wildlife conservation
It's worth noting that Hawaii also issues a distinctive license plate for the disabled and the handicapped individuals, to be displayed on the vehicles that are used by them.
In summary, Hawaii license plates are issued by the state government, have a standard format, with a variety of special interest license plates available for an additional fee, and must be renewed annually. The standard license plate features a graphic of a green sea turtle on the left side of the plate.